In 1955, Domenic Defazio recognised a need for a local club catering to the Italian community, which led to the commencement of construction. The first committee of the Club was formed in 1956, with Luigi Roso as its president. The Club received a liquor license in 1964, becoming the first rural Victorian club to do so.
Over the years, the Club has expanded significantly from its humble beginnings with only a few members to now boasting a membership of over a thousand, and still growing.
Club Savoy is now proudly tied into the Myrtleford Community with the Club ensuring local support is given through sponsorships and monthly donation nights held at the club for local community groups.
1950 (approximate) – Domenic DeFazio sees a need for a local club for the Italian community in the Myrtleford area
1951 – Land purchased by Domenic DeFazio for future construction of club
1955 – Mr DeFazio and his wife Rosa begin building Continental House
1956 – First club committee formed under President Luigi Roso
1960 (approximate) – Club renamed Savoy after a former Italian King
1964 – Becomes first Victorian club to receive a liquor license
1978 – Building purchased from DeFazio’s for $80,000
1982 – Club members grant an $80,000 interest free loan to fund expansion of club facilities
1987 – Construction of new hall, dining room, foyer and toilets completed
1993 – Club hosts it’s largest function, when 700 people attend the Vicentini convention
1994 – Club gaming facilities in new building opened at official ceremony by Myrtleford Shire President, Cr. Henry Brewer
1995 – Club receives gifts of mural by Paola Demanicor, and sundial painted by Andrea Tomaselli
2014 – Trading name changed to Club Savoy after organisational changes